Saturday, April 17, 2010

Freak the Mighty Part 2

Yesterday (Friday) we finished "Freak the Mighty". If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it. For the first time, I almost cried in front of my class. I have been very emotional lately and the end of the book is very sad. It was interesting to read the students' comments about what happened. No, I am not going to tell you because I want you to read it for yourself. Upon finishing the book, I was flipping through the back and found that there is a sequel and the kiddos BEGGED me to get the next one so we can read it. I love it!!

In math, we are studying probability and collecting data. I split the kids into two groups to collect data on 2 different things. Group 1 watched cars to see if they stopped all the way at a stop sign or rolled through. Group 2 collected data on the color of the cars that drive by our school. We were outside for 20 minutes and the kids were amazed that 25 cars rolled through the stop sign! Not only that, every car that drove out of our school parking lot, didn't stop AT ALL when pulling out! We were shocked! I think we may talk about civil action this week and discuss things we can do as citizens.

In social studies, we are discussing Texas' role in the Civil War. It has been interesting to watch the interest grow in slavery. The kids are hungry for more information on it. We have gone over our "time" for social studies every day because we are deep in discussion, which is great!  We are ahead of the other classes in social studies and since it is not a high interest subject, I am going to take advantage of the interest level and teach them some more about slavery and people who were pivotal in ending it in the US.

Our TAKS test is in 1 week. I am trying not to stress the kiddos out. We have been doing relaxation activities every week and pumping them up. I'll have to take a picture to post, I have a stop sign that says "Don't Stop Believin' " hanging up in my classroom. It is my motto. I want to change the words so it talks about strategies to use. Even though it is corny, it works! Last year my kiddos were saying it to themselves throughout the test. So, as long as there are standardized tests, there will be prayer in school. This Edugator will be praying daily for my kiddos to have the necessary knowledge, as well as a calm mind and environment. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment