Monday, April 12, 2010

Where has time gone???

It is hard to believe that we only have 6 weeks left in the school year. Where has time gone!?!?!? We have two weeks until TAKS and we are busy at work to make sure we are all ready! I am seeing so much growth in our students and I am very proud of how far they have come. Our caterpillars came in the mail today and we are looking forward to the process of the butterfly life cycle.

Every year, I get a group that does not love reading as much as I do, although that is with most people I meet. :) Throughout the year, I try to show my students how much I love reading and hope to instill that love in them. In my great quest, that means I try various things. Last year we had a "Passport to Reading" and students kept track of books they read, with the purpose of reading various genres. This year, we are doing the same thing but instead of a passport, we have bookmarks. My kiddos have been reading machines lately! I read Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief to them and the rest of the Percy Jackson books are flying off my shelf!! I have a student that loves the Goosebumps books, which is great. However, I also want my students to broaden their horizons and read different types of books. The bookmark allows me to challenge them in reading different genres while giving them something to work towards. I would love to hear any other reading ideas. Now, my next goal is to figure out ways to encourage my kids to love math. If I could figure that out, maybe I would love it also!

No comments:

Post a Comment