Saturday, May 15, 2010

It's almost here....

I can't believe that I only have 2 more weeks with my kiddos! We started graduation practice yesterday and I think they are all scarred for life from the puberty video they had to watch. We have made so much progress as a class this year. Here are some things I have noticed.

*The kiddos protect each other like they are a family!
*I had several kids EXCITED about their grades on progress reports!! Usually, I would have tears.
*We just finished "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" and the kids wrote in their reaction journals, "I don't like this author because..." What??? Critiquing an author??? I love it!!
* We watched "Paperclips" and when the Holocaust survivors were sharing their stories, my class wanted more. They wanted to hear more stories and know why this was done. They have developed a ton of thinking skills and are asking a ton of questions about why people would have so much hatred towards certain people.
* One of my favorite stories for the week comes from Friday. They had to watch a Puberty video (boys in one room, girls in another) for part of the curriculum. When they came back one of my girls said, "Mrs. Edugator! They went to far! That was disturbing!" I asked her what was so bad and she said, "when they showed the picture of a grown up girl and what was going to happen to us!"

Oh kiddos! I'm going to miss them. This group has come so far this year and I am very proud of them. And, all of this is the progress without the TAKS scores. That, will be another post when the scores come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment