Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 2

Don't you like the catchy titles? Today we started with a rock and mineral lab and had to identify all of these rocks and more! Did I tell you we had a test yesterday? I'm pretty sure I bombed it and now I have to learn these??? Well, I don't have them memorized but I can name a few of them. Hopefully I will learn them all before I am done with camp. We were in lab for an hour and a half.
Look at me being all scientific and testing the streak of this mineral, while posing for the camera... I am that talented!
This is my roomi Cristina for the next 2 weeks. She is a pre-service teacher and will complete her student teaching in the Spring in High School Biology. We get along very well and I think we are two of the youngest teachers here.

Okay, onto the bus ride. We left College Station around 11:00 am. We are on a 50 passenger bus and have 35 people traveling with our group. Cristina and I were fortunate enough to get seats on our own so we could stretch out and we had the perfect location. There were some issues, nothing major but stuff that is aggravating when you are crammed on a bus. I took a nap, finished a book, texted Katie about teachers and the funny things they do, and attempted a crossword puzzle. We passed around a microphone and introduced ourselves, which I always hate doing and man, teachers love to hear their own voice! Introductions were supposed to be short and I swear some teachers were up there for 30 minutes!
Blog world, I would love for you to meet Sheri. She is from Vernon, TX, our stop for tonight and she gave us all sorts of history as we entered the area. For instance, the river is one of the few places cattle could cross safely. There is a coal power plant and as we were riding through we saw a train with TONS of coal.

At 5:00 we rolled into the Holiday Inn Express in Vernon, TX. This is the view from our room. I will have one of these pictures for you every day as a fun game to see the scenery. Apparently our view in Ouray is gorgeous!! We start seeing some cool stuff tomorrow and we have another long bus ride so keep looking for more adventures!

1 comment:

  1. I am such a dork. I quizzed myself based on just the picture and got at least 7 of them. If you have any that give you trouble - let me know. I made up all kinds of fun memory devices back in my geology lab days to help me remember the names and properties.

    Ex. To remember the Geological Time Scale, I made up this one (which I still remember because I would always picture the queen of hearts from Alice in Wonderland telling the Cheshire Cat to kill the little teacup mice):

    Queens Tell Cats Just To Paw Pretty Mice Dead So Others Can't

    (Quaternary, Tertiary, Cretaceous, Jurassic, Tertiary, Permian, Pennsylvanian, Mississippian, Devonian,
    Silurian, Ordovician, Cambrian)

    ReplyDelete