Tuesday, July 13, 2010

G Camp Day 4

Alrighty, here we are at day four! Bare with me, I have a ton of photos to share with you today and if that didn't quench your thirst for G Camp adventures, check out my pictures on facebook. :) The first stop we made today was at a Flat Iron in Stonewall, CO. It is made of Dakota Sand Stone and was formed when the Rockies pushed the layers up as they formed. The other side to this particular flat iron is on the other side of the road.
Yes, I am a good G Camper taking notes about what I see. :) I got to use my rock hammer a little bit here and collected some rock samples.
 This garbage truck was in front of us for quite a way and we could see the dust from it rolling over. Turns out, the driver fell asleep and went off the road, causing the truck to flip. It's a good thing he was at this spot and not where there was a drop off. He was very lucky.

In this photo I just got done using my handy dandy rock hammer to knock out some rhyalite from this dike. There were a lot of these on our journey today.
This formation is known as kissing camels. They were lifted up like the flat iron was but because of erosion they now look like kissing camels... supposedly.
This picture contains Mount Mestus and another mountain that I can't remember the name of. :) One of our tour guides, Rick completed his Ph.D work on this mountain. 
About 20 minutes from the last accident, we saw another one! Needless to say, I have been a nervous wreck on the bus and I forgot my Xanax. At least our bus driver is the same one they have had for the past few years and they keep asking him to come back so he is keeping everybody safe.
The last set of pictures are from the Great Sand Dunes and I have to say, pictures do not do it justice. I even managed to get a few "post card" pictures aside from the spots on the side of the picture but I can't figure out what they are from and I have tried cleaning my camera. I guess that's what I get for getting a camera off of Craigslist. The sand dunes crest at 700 feet. Most of the dunes are made up of quartz and volcanic rock. The black sand is magnetite and has a magnetic property, which would have been fun if I had some magnets with me... next trip!

This is one of the three Sherri's. She is the one that is also our expert on Vernon, TX.
I had a hard time walking back to the bus and part of it could have been some extra weight and some of that was in my shoes! Look how much sand was in my shoes!!! I had my own little sand dunes going on.

I didn't post this yesterday but last night's hotel had pretty much the same view. A parking lot. At least the weather is gorgeous here. Cristina and I decided to stay in tonight and relax our bodies. They were pretty sore. The pizza was the best decision ever and beat fast food or walking to town. More fun adventures for you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bug. Your pictures are great. I love the rock hammer. I think that Bud Light Truck driver had too much Bud Light the night before. :) Love you and keeping up with your travels. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shoe dirt! I remember coming home everyday from daycare with about that much sand in my velcro shoes - I built a pile outside our front door.

    I really missed Brad tonight. Six grown males sat at my dining room table playing D&D, and I knew if Brad lived closer he would be here too, and I could get some Brad snuggles.

    Hope you are drinking lots of water and not getting too weighed down with your samples. Please remember to send me that email ASAP tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete