Friday, July 23, 2010

G Camp Day 14.... on the road

What a long day! We were on the road for most of the day, with 2 stops. One at a road cut and the other at The American Talc mine and processing plant. The picture above is the mountain that they get the talc from. We had an opportunity to increase our rock collection and I got some soap stone, talc, and calcite. I also got a really cool piece of talc with veins of calcite. It looks like a zebra.
These dump trucks weigh 60 tons and the tire is bigger than I am!!! Check out how huge they are!
After looking at the mine, we went to the processing plant and looked at what happens to the talc when they fire it and grind it. This picture was taken after I happened to put my foot in a huge pile of talc trying to get around a group of people. I had talc EVERYWHERE! However, my shoes were as white as they were before G Camp. :) We finally made it to Ozona, TX around 6:30. Our bus didn't have air conditioning so the back of the bus got very hot. We had a new bus delivered today so the rest of our trip should be very cool. *Whew* I am really looking forward to tomorrow. We are traveling to Sonora Caverns and Enchanted Rock. Plus, I heard a little birdie say we may go fossil hunting. How cool would that be if I found something???

No comments:

Post a Comment