Sunday, July 25, 2010

Last Day of G Camp

Today was our last day of G Camp, aside from a post test I have to take tomorrow morning. Today we went to Canyon Lake Gorge. A flood occurred here in 2002 (I think). While touring the Gorge, which you can only do by reservation with a docent, and you have to basically sign your life away, we found dinosaur footprints!!! This is actually slightly common in Texas but seriously, how cool is that!?!? Here is a picture of the footprint.
Being the teachers we are, we had to give you an idea of scale. Each person is holding their arms apart for the length of the footprint and is standing in the track the prints went.
Most of the gorge was formed by a slick and slide fault that lies there and erosion from the river. However, you can see a lot of damage from the flood because it is the spillway and you can also find a ton of fossils. The bad thing.... you can't take them.  In the picture below, I am standing on a fault line.
After the Gorge, we went to Wendy's for lunch, which was refreshing after a hot morning in the sun. Then, we went to one of the G Campers cousin's land (did you follow that?) to collect fossils that we could take home!! So, I now have fossils to add to my collection.

We arrived back in College Station around 6:00. I promptly came home and showered!!! I was so stinky from our walk in the Gorge. Then, I showed Brad my new collection of rocks, sand, and fossils. I can't wait to share everything I have learned with my students. This has truly been an eye opening experience and I will never look at land forms in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment