Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 5 and I am still alive!!

Hooray!! I can't believe I still have working legs and lungs! This has definitely been a motivator to get into better shape. I am having a great time but I know I would enjoy it more if I wasn't getting out of breath. So, today was a pretty laid back day in the way of G Camp. First, we went to Monarch Pass and stood on the continental divide. The picture of me is on the Pacific side. This place had a great gift shop with awesome jewelry that a lot of people were buying but I opted to save my money.
This is a picture of whodo's (?) also known as Dillon Pinnacles. This scene was gorgeous and I am debating on selling them to postcard companies. :)
Here is a group shot at the Pinnacles with some of my new friends: Theresa, Lindsey, and Cristina.
This is one of many bus pictures from today. I thought the layers were cool. The red layers are ground deposits and the greenish layers are marine deposits. Interesting. :)
This is my favorite bus shot of the day and there isn't even a bad reflection!
Landslide... they were all over the San Juan mountains.
This is one of many pictures from Black Canyon at Gunnison. The pictures do not capture the beauty of this place! The part with all of the different layers is called Painted Wall. I have a lot more pictures of this on facebook.
This is Jack, Rick, and Christine. Jack and Rick are our Geology experts. Christine is from Exxon Mobile, one of our sponsors who came to see what they are spending their money on and spend a few days with us. We are fortunate to have a lot of sponsors to make this trip possible. Speaking of, the last picture for today is a group of Texas A&M Regional Collaborative members who are on the trip.

Okay, here are a few random stories for you. Don't you love random? I do! I learned that Trinidad,CO (where we stayed a few nights ago) is the sex change capital of the world. We found that out on the way out of town. I have seen several Gators on the trip. Mostly today. At Monarch Pass I saw an old couple and the man was wearing a Gator polo and I of course pulled the Shands commercial, "Go Gators". Of course, I am a talker and that turned into a conversation. They just moved to CO from Gainesville, Fl and their son just moved from Gainesville to Texas, which I thought was pretty cool. Then, when we were at Black Canyon and I saw a truck with a Florida plate and Gator something on their car. I then went around asking for the Gator fans but never found them. :(


Before coming on this trip I heard about how this was going to be a life changing experience. The first few days all I could think was, "how on Earth is this life changing". We would joke about not being able to make it back to the bus after walking all over the world and how it would be life changing. However, I really am starting to understand what they are talking about. I will never look at landforms the same. I have already learned so much on this trip and I still have 10 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment